Thursday, November 17, 2016

40


Yesterday was the day - the day, 40 years ago, that I came into this crazy world. 

And how did I spend my birthday...miserably. Not because it was my birthday and I had reached this milestone, but because Mother Nature's gift to me was a horrendous sinus cold that has made me realize that tissues and the cool mist humidifier are my soulmates!

But while yesterday was the worst, today I feel like I'm on the upswing.  And though it's a day late, my husband and I will be celebrating this evening with hearty German food and a trip to L.L. Bean for new birthday slippers (yay!).  And really, what sane person doesn't like extending their birthday celebration?

I used to dread the thought of hitting the 40 mark, but that was at a time when I felt stuck in a rut and lonely. I truly have so much to be thankful for this year:

  • I celebrated my first wedding anniversary with the love of my life - a man who is beyond supportive, nurturing, and loving; who encourages me at every turn; who makes me laugh and see all the positive things in my life.
  • I enjoyed my first year as Shorty's other mother and the continued experience of what parenting is really like - the simple joys, the frustrations, and the celebrations.
  • We welcomed two new additions to our menagerie (Ory and Ripley), as well as a host of chickens.
  • I found out that we would be welcoming another addition to our family in March...and have experienced the ups and downs of my first pregnancy. But my little man continues to grow strong and healthy every day within me and I can't wait to hold him in my arms!
  • I have amazing friends and a loving family that have made me realize just how lucky I am to have such a phenomenal support network.
This is just a sample of the things that I am thankful for. I could go on for days, but I'll refrain.

So while I sniff and sneeze, cough and reach for the tissues for the 8,000th time on this first day of a new journey in my life, I will stop focusing on this cold, and think on all those things that I am grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment